Director, Revenue Science
We are committed to our mission: Through excellence, we create once-in-a-lifetime experiences, every time.
We welcome your interest in joining the Holland America Group - a division of Carnival Corp. The Holland America Group includes Holland America Line and Seabourn (both headquartered in Seattle, Washington), Princess Cruise Lines (headquartered in Santa Clarita, California), and P&O Australia (headquartered in Sydney). The Holland America Group operates a combined total of 41 cruise ships with over 36,000 employees worldwide. This position will be located in our Seattle offices.
Provide guidance and lead other members of the Data Science Team. Guide and support teammates in using operations research and other advance methodologies, such as forecasting, statistics, econometric modeling, optimization algorithms, and other quantitative techniques to develop models, methods, and build algorithms to optimize ticketed revenues. Work with a mix of open source and in-house developed tools such as Hadoop, SAS, R, CPLEX and others.
The Director, Revenue Science will be responsible for contributing to ongoing data science efforts, managing the data science team, and identifying significant business opportunities where data science can assist; helping us better leverage our full funnel of data to optimize our existing business, guide decisions, and set a data science strategy that will secure our position as a leader in the industry as a whole.
• Develop, train and mentor a team of Data Scientists.
• Key responsibilities for leading a team in model design, analytic approach, and data quality vetting.
• Take an active role in prioritizing analytic research pushing highest value to forefront of the team’s workload.
• Collaborate with other brands and corporate in the maintenance and enhancement of the newly launched RMS system.
• Train end users how to interpret and leverage a variety of tools the group has created.
• Present technical scientific material to non-technical audiences in a way that is meaningful and understandable to them.
• Introduce new tools developed by the Science Team to the Revenue Management group.
• Actively manage team and remove performance blockers to ensure timely analytics delivery.
• As part of ongoing work and interaction with the broader RM team, identify new opportunities to use modeling and advanced analytics to drive business value and educate the organization about analytical concepts and thought processes.
• Provide analytical model development support including project design, problem definition, determining objectives and constraints.
• Work with cross-functional business partners to collect data, create hypotheses, and corroborate findings.
• Own the strategic planning and research initiatives involved with demand forecasting, price elasticity modeling, price/network optimization, and sizing up opportunities from new initiatives. Build prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to the decision systems and operational processes.
• Develop, enhance and maintain a variety of mathematical models such as: Time Series Forecasts, Logistic Regression, Random Forests, Econometric Models, Performance Metrics and more.
• Lead and conduct CART analysis and other methods such as K-Means clustering to determine segmentation drivers for models.
• Actively develop and implement metrics that monitor the effectiveness and success of various marketing and operating initiatives
• Understand the sources of key data structures and the relationship amongst the data structures in the variety data warehouses
• Leverage SQL and PL/SQL to embed statistical models and analysis into database architecture.
• Support the definition of new data elements that will drive additional holistic, profit maximizing approaches to analyzing the business
• Leverage tools such as SAS and R to create statistically significant forecasts, classification and optimization models.
• Formulate and solve optimization problems using CPLEX.
• Use advanced statistical and data mining techniques to distill through large datasets in order to identify crucial pieces of information. Devise testing methods to determine if information is statistically significant to include in forecast and revenue models.
• Mine existing and new data sources for additional predictive variables.
• Provide consulting expertise to other departments while working closely with revenue planning departmental and operational staff to understand underlying business needs, availability of data and market conditions in order to develop practical solutions that can be implemented and used to drive revenue improvement.
• Assist in the development and implementation of standard operating procedures and training materials for end users who need to understand how to interpret and apply the results of particular analysis
• Actively design and implement predictive & descriptive models and analytical processes that drive various inventory management and operating processes
• Communicate results in a clear, thorough, and compelling way
• Assist in requirements gathering and testing of new analytical processes that will be used by the business.
• Work with ABG IT group to integrate statistical code with java code governing the overall RMS system. This involves partnering to write the java code that interacts with the module and the overall RMS system.
• Position requires excellent mathematical, computer and analytical skills, with at least a Master’s Degree in a quantitative discipline such as Operations Research, Applied Statistics, Applied Math or a related field. PhD preferred.
• At least 5 years’ Operations Research experience post masters applying research and other advanced methodologies to solve complex issues / business problems.
• Ability to query databases, manipulate datasets and create new tables using SQL.
• At least 5 years’ experience writing complex SQL and PL/SQL queries.
• At least 5 years’ experience creating R packages.
• At least 3 years’ experience creating time series forecasts with hierarchy.
• At least 3 years’ experience creating classification models using SAS enterprise miner.
• Experience with SAS and R.
• Experience writing complete computer routines in java, C++ or python from scratch.
• Experience with at least 1 coded language (java, C++, python, etc.)
• Experience with CPLEX.
• Experience creating scientific dashboards with Tableau.
• Knowledge of Map reduce a plus.
• Very strong analytical, statistical and modeling skills, with experience manipulating and ‘making sense’ of data from disparate systems.
• Sound verbal and written skills to effectively interact with people of different levels and functions and to translate complex analysis into everyday language.
•Flexible Work Schedule! –9/80 alternative workweek schedule option providing each employee with one (1) weekday off every two weeks.
•Time off benefits - 8 paid holidays, paid vacation and paid sick time
•Travel – Generous Cruise and Travel Privileges for you and your family
•Health - Complete benefit plans including medical, dental, vision and flexible spending accounts
•Wellness - Health and wellness programs include discounted health benefits and memberships
•Tuition Reimbursement - Up to 80% with a maximum of $3000 per fiscal year
•401(k) - Company match of 33% on employees first 6% contribution with 100% vesting after 4 years of service
•Profit Sharing Plan- Eligible after 1 year of service
•Employee Stock Purchase Plan – Discount on Carnival Corporation stock
•Training - In-house Discover University courses on professional development
•Rewards & Incentives - Employee Recognition and Reward Programs; rideshare, financial commuter incentives; special employee discounts for local venues, banking services and retail stores
For more than 140 years, Holland America Line has been a recognized leader in cruising, taking
our guests to exotic destinations around the world. Apply today and set sail on an exciting
new career course! Our application process is quick and easy, be sure to login to our Talent
Center and create a profile and then apply directly to your specific job.
Holland America Line is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability or protected veteran status.