Stability Manager / Naval Architect
Santa Clarita, CA
Holland America Group is currently searching for a highly motivated Stability Manager / Naval Architect. The Stability Manager is the technical resource for all matters related to the stability of the ships, providing guidance to Staff Captains and seagoing officers in all matters of ship stability. You will be responsible for monitoring the performance of the fleet in their ability to achieve required stability criteria. The scope of responsibility covers all HA Group ships (HAL, PCL, SBN, POA).
We welcome your interest in joining the Holland America Group - a division of Carnival Corp. The Holland America Group includes Holland America Line and Seabourn (both headquartered in Seattle, Washington), Princess Cruise Lines (headquartered in Santa Clarita, California), and P&O Australia (headquartered in Sydney). The Holland America Group operates a combined total of 41 cruise ships with over 36,000 employees worldwide. This position will be located in our Santa Clarita, CA offices.
Ship Stability Management
- Serve as stability SME for HA Group
- Ensures ship stability conditions are compliant with statutory and company standards
- Develops optimized loading conditions for itinerary/ship pairings
- Advises ship staff on their stability conditions, providing guidance with ship loading plans where necessary
- Point of contact for ship staff for all questions related to stability
- Conducts ship visits to review/audit onboard stability management & conducts training
Quality Assurance & Document Control
- Manages the process for all updates/upgrades to the Onboard NAPA stability software and hardware
- Responsible for ship database updates in NAPA
- Ensures Stability Information Books are current
- Verifies Damage Control Plans, Capacity Plans and similar drawings
- Audits Onboard NAPA hardware and software when onboard
- Conducts lightweight surveys and supports inclining experiments
- Serves as the designated back-up for the Stability position in the Emergency Response Organization
- Advises on the impact to stability of proposed shipboard projects/modifications
- Reviews contractor-developed stability documents and studies
- Develops NAPA-based damage stability training exercises
- B.Sc or B.Eng in Naval Architecture is preferred. Other relevant degrees, e.g. Marine or Ocean Engineering, or equivalent experience in a sea-going position will be considered.
- 3-5 years’ experience in Naval Architecture/Naval Engineering.
- Prior experience with ship stability requirements and calculations.
- Experience with industry standard stability software; experience with NAPA software a plus. Proficiency with CAD software is beneficial.
- Ability to travel, both domestically as well as internationally, approx. 35%.
- Ability to work beyond normal business hours occasionally to support business needs, projects or operational support, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to use pilot ladders (rope ladders), vertical ladders, pass through manholes, spend time in loud and/or hot conditions and be able to stand/walk for long stretches of time while working on shipboard projects.
- Flexible Work Schedule! 9/80 alternative workweek schedule providing each employee with one (1) weekday off every two weeks
- Time off benefits - 8 paid holidays, paid vacation, bonus vacation time and paid sick time
- Travel - Cruise and Travel Privileges for you and your family
- Health - Complete benefit plans including medical, dental, vision and flexible spending accounts
- Wellness - Health and wellness programs include onsite exercise classes, onsite nutrition and lifestyle classes and discounted gym memberships
- Education Assistance - up to 80% with a maximum of $3000 per calendar year
- 401(k) - Company match up to 6% of salary at 50% for the first 5 years and 100% thereafter
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan - up to a 15% discount off of FMV of CCL stock
- Training - In-house Discover U courses on professional development
- Rewards & Incentives - Employee Recognition and Reward Programs; rideshare, financial commuter incentives and free parking; special employee discounts for banking services and retail stores
Next Steps… *LI-CW1
Apply today and set sail on an exciting new career course! Our goal is to be the number one cruise and cruise-tour provider. To make that happen, we need qualified, top-notch team members. If you’re looking to get your talent noticed, apply today! Our application process is quick and easy:
Apply online at http://princess.com/careers. Enter the job title into the keyword search to access the job. If you are already on the Princess Cruises website be sure to create a profile and then apply directly to your specific job.
Princess Cruises is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability or protected veteran status.